[Avodah] ribis and being elevated? (status??)

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Wed Oct 5 11:04:13 PDT 2011

RHB:

<<when the gemarra states that a few people are eleveated in status,
(eg, king, etc) their sins are forgiven, what does this mean (eg what
does it apply to?) dinei mamonis (if he charged a fellow jew ribis is he
patur?) dinei shamayim? etc,>>

I think it refers to habit.  Sometimes people become so habituated to
certain sins that they don't even notice doing them (Ibn Ezra's example
is that, in his time, people swore oaths so frequently and so
thoughtlessly that they would utter phrases like "I swear I've never
sworn an oath in my life").  A change in status usually induces a change
in lifestyle, and that gives a person the opportunity to rearrange his
life to avoid these habitual sins.

David Riceman