[Avodah] Kategor and Sanegor

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Mon Oct 3 09:53:51 PDT 2011

In a message dated 10/3/2011, harchinam at gmail.com writes:

>> Saying that Hashem is the sanegor [or even The Sanegor] against  or
across from the Kategor is just too much like a different religion's ideas  of
two equal powers [or even somehwat unequal powers on the same level] for my
taste.<<

I had no such intention or thought of "two powers" in my mind  c'v and I am
glad that you clarified that.

Sefer Iyov (among other sources) makes it clear that the Satan cannot act
on his own initiative, that he is just another malach with a mission to
perform -- he is the yetzer hara, he is the prosecutor and he is the malach
hamaves -- it is his mission to attempt to get people to sin and then to
punish  them if they do -- but underneath it all, he doesn't /reallly/  want
people to sin, he wants them to resist his wiles and to do  Hashem's will.  The
Torah's picture of the Satan is quite, quite  different from the xian idea
of an angel who "rebelled" and set himself up in  his own anti-G-d kingdom!

It may be that the sanegor (or The Sanegor) is not Hashem Himself but an
angel appointed by Hashem to speak for the defense, but that does sound  more
like an attorney than a witness. Or every person may have his own  sanegor
(or even many) -- the angel[s] created by his own good deeds that  testify
on his behalf.  In any case, I think we are in the land of  metaphors here
and don't have a crystal clear idea of what goes on Up There  -- other than
the knowledge that we are on trial and that our fate hangs in the  balance.

--Toby Katz