[Avodah] “Segula”: Empty Promises

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Dec 19 13:31:07 PST 2011

 From http://mesora.org/segulas.htm

Recently a Jewish newspaper ran an ad selling the
promise of Divine intervention, commonly called
“segulas”. For $40 an organization called
Chasidei Yerushalayim advertised it would read
Tehillim and Shir HaShirim, promising these
recitations to afford a “proven segula” or
“guaranteed positive change” in one’s life.
Although I know that a wise person well versed in
Torah texts will immediately dismiss such absurd
claims, I was bothered by the ad’s gross
misrepresentation of Torah truths, and false hopes sold to ignorant Jews.

This concept of a “segula” – that some action
will cause an unrelated result – is alien to
Torah Judaism, regardless of the masses of frum
Jews who espouse such beliefs, and regardless of
the segulas’ inclusion of Torah verses. I’ve
heard of people baking challas with keys inside,
or praying for 40 days at a precise location,
believing this will somehow locate their mate, or
make them fertile. But I also know God’s words,
“In every place you mention My name, I will come
to you and bless you.” (Exod. 20:21) Thus, God
states that location is inconsequential. A close
friend “AS” met with a Mekubbal and did as
instructed. He was guaranteed to marry within the
year. Ten years later, he is still single, while
the Mekubbal profited. Another close friend “MK”
inquired of a great Rebbe about a sick relative,
and was told she would recover. But she died.

Although inexplicable according to the precise,
natural laws that God created, people believe in
segulas, for they emanate from Jewish
communities, and many people are desperate.

From  http://www.mesora.org/segulasII.htm

The following belief has been circulating, with
no rejection from Torah leaders, and unfortunately, endorsement:

“Going into the mikvah following a pregnant woman
who is in her ninth month is a segula for becoming pregnant.”

<Snip>

Segulas II: Be-emunah Shlaimah: With Perfect Faith

Rabbi Reuven Mann

With regard to a segula ritual prescribed for
pregnant women, a defender of the practice
asks:  “If this segula were not acceptable do you
think the Rabbanim who told the women to do it
would have suggested it?”  This is a powerful and
challenging question.  The answer is that,
unfortunately, I do believe Rabbanim suggested
it.  One must question the behavior of these
rabbis.  It is irresponsible to mislead innocent
people along a false path – which takes the away
from Torah and from a true relationship with God.

Yitzchok Levine