[Avodah] Bar Mitzvah Doraisa?

martin brody martinlbrody at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 16:13:40 PST 2011

"But I was wondering... Turning 12 or 13 depends on a chazaqah to
approximate the age at which I child would grow 2 saaros. Meaning,
the whole concept of bar mitzvah is itself deRabbanan. Bar mitzvah is
for when the rabbanan require adulthood -- zimun, tefillah betzibur,
leining... When we need to determine adulthood deOraisa (eg geirus),
we do not rely on age alone.

Wouldn't this be an easier reason for saying that bar mitzvah isn't
a personal chag? One is merely celebrating reaching a chazaqah, not
the primary shiur.

Tir'u baTov!
-Micha"

See Gen 34:25.. Each man took his sword. Levi was 13.See  Rashi on Pirke
Avot 5:21 and Nazir 29b(V'Rebbi Yosi B'Rebbi Yehudah)

Martin Brody