[Avodah] Cellphones and Driving: A Halachik Perspective by R. Yosef Kanefsky

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Dec 14 15:02:32 PST 2011

From  http://bit.ly/vr07qm   (Note:  This article was written in 2009.)

What do we know about the likelihood of a driver
causing a car accident when he or she is speaking
on a cellphone (not to mention texting)?  As
reported in the NY Times on July 19, the
likelihood that a driver holding and talking on a
cellphone will crash, is equal to that of a
driver whose blood alcohol level is .08 percent –
the legal definition of driving while
intoxicated. As the Times article put it,
“drivers using phone are four times as likely to
cause a crash as other drivers”. The article goes
on to quote a Harvard study estimating that
cellphone distraction causes thousand of deaths,
and hundreds of thousands of injuries per year.
The potential for committing a “great sin” is
astonishingly high.  And the research is not
showing that using a hands-free phone
significantly reduces this potential either.

  As halachikly observant Jews, we go to great
lengths to lower our risk of sinning. We do not
climb trees on Shabbat lest we inadvertently
violate Shabbat by breaking a branch. Many of us
do not eat corn or beans on Pesach; lest we come
to eat inadvertently eat chametz. On the first
day of Rosh Hashana this year, we will actually
set aside the Biblical mitzva of blowing shofar,
lest we inadvertently carry the shofar through
the public domain, thus violating the Shabbat. It
is self-evident that our system demands that we
not drive while distracted by our cellphone, lest
we, God forbid, God forbid, inadvertently injure
or kill someone. It’s that straightforward.