[Avodah] Halachim ramifications of vision strength

Saul Mashbaum saul.mashbaum at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 05:33:35 PST 2011

I cited SA Och 293:2:

293:2 One should be careful not to do m'lacha Saturday night until 3
small stars are seen (ie, can be seen SM).

RZS:
>>>Ordinary stars, not small ones.

Since the mechaber wrote "kochavim k'tanim",  my citation is accurate.
No correction was necessary

RZS:

But one must know which stars count as "ordinary", which is why this
siman is not given to everybody

Indeed, the poskim say that mitzad hadin, 3 medium-sized stars are the
siman for the end of Shabbat, but since it is difficult to determine
which stars are medium-sized, the mechaber wrote "small stars".

RZS further on in his posting notes that halachic measurements derived from
how far a person walks in a certain period of time are based on the average pace
at which people walk. I believe he means to infer from this that dinim
based on sight would be according to average eyesight. This
supposition is indeed very plausable, and I am inclined to accept it,
but it is not airtight.

Saul Mashbaum
,