[Avodah] : : Re: Chillul HaShem when NJ are the observers

Chana Luntz Chana at kolsassoon.org.uk
Thu Nov 17 15:13:54 PST 2011

I wrote:
> > Whether or not one might spit at AZ, or show disgust for it, that
> > provides no justification for spitting at a person, regardless of their
> > on AZ.

And RZS replied:

> A priest, at least when he is in his robes, represents his AZ.

This is not a Jewish concept (I don't think it is much of a non Jewish
concept today either, although it may certainly have been at one time, eg
amongst the ancient Egyptians).  The halacha is very clear that while one
may not sell to a non Jew anything that is to be used for the benefit of an
idol (eg to clothe the idol, or to present food or candles before it), it is
mutar to sell to the priests anything that is for *their* benefit - ie food
or drink or candles or clothing or decorative items that they, rather than
the idol itself, will get benefit from (inter alia Rema in Shulchan Aruch
Yoreh Deah siman 148 si'if 12, siman 151 s'if 3  and siman 141 si'if 3 and
surrounding discussion).

There is a specific problem if the priest is actually wearing or carrying an
idol.  In that case you do need to be careful not to bow down or take off
one's hat to the idol (except in a way that it doesn't appear like you are
bowing, eg you drop your money)- but the Rema (Yoreh Deah siman 150 si'if 3)
notes that there are grounds to be lenient since it is known that even the
idol worshippers do not take off their hat or bow down because of the idol
but only to the sar (ie person in authority bearing it).

That is, even bowing down or taking off one's hat to a priest is mutar,
unless it might appear that one is actually bowing to an genuine idol.
Nowhere in this Rema or elsewhere, is there any idea that somehow a priest,
however he is dressed, is "representing his AZ" and is to be treated like
some sort of human AZ (were such a concept possible).  Rather a clear
distinction is made between the person and any inanimate object that he
might be carrying which is in fact an idol (but which is indeed not
considered an idol if it is for noy of the priest, ie gives decoration to
the priest).  If there is a real genuine idol being carried by the priest,
then we do need to be careful not to in fact give any form of honour to that
idolatrous inanimate object - but even if there is a real genuine idol being
carried by the priest, if in fact the idol worshippers of that particular
religion are known to be giving the honour to the priest and not to the idol
when they bow or doff their cap, giving such honour may be mutar even for
us.  Absent any idol being carried, a priest in his robes represents nothing
that triggers the halacha.

> Zev Sero        If they use these guns against us once, at that moment

Regards

Chana