[Avodah] reality

Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org
Thu Nov 17 09:59:16 PST 2011

http://www.jewswithquestions.com/index.php?/topic/115-scales-fins-and-the-suns-orbit/page__p__290#entry290
  ----->

in general, whenever Chazal make a scientific statement, they are not
talking about the observable universe but rather the "real" universe. What
we - and the scientists - see is only a graphic user interface, so to
speak. The real world - the real sun, real moon, real earth - is not
observable by current scientific means. Chazal were talking about the real
world when they spoke. I'd recommend this Shiur    [  link  available
there]  for a full treatment.

Therefore, the Jewish sages were talking about the "real" universe, which
indeed behaves exactly as the Chachmei Yisroel described. The non-Jewish
scholars were arguing with limited information, i.e. with what their
scientists could see on the "outside," GUI world. We agree that on the
outside, it would appear the way they say. But the Chachmei Yisroel saw
deeper, they saw into the real world and there, their description is
correct.

-----  it would seem to me  that  if  eg  chazal  say  2+2=  5 ,  and our
reality sees the metzius as  2+2=4  , it still equals  5  .  this  implies
 chazalic observations are ALWAYS  correct , it may on a more metaphysical
or medrashic  plane .

my question is  in general the thinking  about the now  banned  approaches
to chazals  that don't   fit.    is it that  believing  2+2=4  is
inherently assur  ;  or  is it  a slippery slope, that 2+2 =4   would lead
to mixed dancing  as the old joke goes?