[Avodah] Chillul HaShem and Davening on Airplanes

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Nov 17 09:22:26 PST 2011

At 11:41 AM 11/17/2011, R. Meir Rabi wrote:
>N)     I believe that R ShZA, discouraged or prohibited people forming a
>Minyan on a plane, due to concerns of ChH. I understood that this was true
>even when all the J were davening in that Minyan and all the other
>passengers were NJ. If I understand R Zev correctly, he would insist that
>this is a KH.

Please see http://tinyurl.com/7d6a6ac

Among other things Rav H Schechter writes,

"However, when Orthodox Jews disturb non-observant Jewish passengers
with their davening, the non-observant passengers sill remain
non-observant and now just have another point about which to be upset
with the Orthodox. The practice of the Orthodox passengers under such
circumstances appears simply as an act of harassment. Rather than
having accomplished the hidur mitzvah of davening tefillah btzibur,
they have violated lifnei iver by causing the non-observant
passengers to become more antagonistic towards shemiras hamitzvos.
The shouting tone of voice employed by the shaliach tzibbur to
overcome the noise on the airplane clearly does not constitute a
kavod hatefillah."

<Snip>

"However, it is still not proper to gather a minyan together near the
washrooms, disturbing all the other passengers and the stewardesses.
As much as various Torah giants of our generation have expressed
their opposition to such minyanim on airplanes[2], their message has
not yet been accepted."

[2] Rav Shlomo Wahrman
(<http://www.torahweb.org/torah/special/2010/airplane-Rwharman.pdf>
She'eiris Yosef  vol. 7,
siman<http://www.torahweb.org/torah/special/2010/airplane-Rwharman.pdf>
3) quotes Rav Shlomo Zalman Auerbach (Halichos Shlomo, page 75), Rav
Moshe Feinstein (Igros Moshe Orach Chaim vol. 4 siman 20), Rav
Ovadiah Yosef, and Rav Shmuel Wosner all objecting to minyanim on
airplanes that disturb other passengers

YL