[Avodah] cutting challah

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 04:00:42 PST 2011

I read recently that according to the Ari when the husband cuts challah on
shabbat he should not
eat his piece before he cuts a piece for his wife and she should get a
larger piece (the Ari lived before the days of diets -) )

According to SA all the pieces of challah should not be handed out but
rather put in a dish in the center of the table (OC 267:18)
Nevertheless, in almost all the homes that I have been the host indeed
hands out the challah. I believe that this also the practice of many rebbes
to give the hamotzi bread directly to the people at the table. This
includes the Rebbe from Lublin, , the Divrei Chaim of Sanz and his grandson
the rebbe from Bobov.

The MB says not to throw the pieces of challah, however the ktav sofer did
just that comparing it to animal parts on the altar

--
Eli Turkel