[Avodah] Change Has Come To Modena

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Wed Nov 9 05:25:55 PST 2011

 From http://tinyurl.com/7t4nzd2

The Kitzur Shelah by Rav Yechiel Michel Epstein,
was first published in Fürth in 1683. It was not
truly an abridgement of the Shnai Luchos HaBris,
but rather a Sefer which stood on its own. It was
used for many years by people in smaller
communities as a guide for what to do at
different times of the year. As many know, it is
reputedly the source of the actual Pesukim
recommended for the custom of saying Pesukim Lishemot Anashim.

<Snip>

In fact, this custom of reciting a Pasuk
associated with one’s name is recorded there at the very end.

Chapter 5 of Post Sabbatean Sabbatianism by Rabbi
Dr. Bezalel Naor goes into the reasons why Rav
Yakov Emden blacklisted this book. It is based on
the Hakdamah which uses the expressions Mashiach
Ha'Amiti and Y'Mot HaMashiach, which equal 814
and is also the Gematria for Shabbetai Zvi.[4]
The copy I have from 1707 comes with the original
quotation marks, functioning like italics, on
both Mashiach Ha'Amiti and Y'mot Hamashiach.

<Snip>

I was looking through the book to find the part
that speaks about the Pesukim L'Shemot Anashim
and found it at the very end. I was fascinated to
see that immediately before the final section,
Rabbi Epstein concludes his Sefer with a hope for
the coming of Moshiach, and he refers to Moshiach as Nezer Rosheinu.

I was curious about the words Nezer Rosheinu to
describe Moshiach, and suspecting foul play, I
did two things. Firstly, I wrote to Dr. Shnayer
Leiman and asked him about the Kitzur Shelah and
its use of the word Nezer Rosheinu. This is what
Dr. Leiman answered (posted with permission).

“Briefly, Kitzur Shelah is a Sabbatian work. It
is suffused with Sabbatian material, so one
needn't look for evidence just at the beginning
and end. It was already identified as Sabbatian
by R. Yehezkel Katznellenbogen in the first quarter of the 18th century.

[Nezer Rosheinu] is surely a reference to
Sabbetai Zevi. The latter name in gematria totals
814, a sacred number for Sabbatians.

See the above URL for the entire article. YL