[Avodah] The daf yomi in Chulin 128a Tanaim hold the the kishus planted in an otsits sh?aino nakuf is yonaik min ha'aretz - is

hankman hankman at bell.net
Sun Nov 6 10:10:06 PST 2011

RZS wrote:

And what does a plant get in an otzitz nokuv? How does the power in the
earth jump the gap between the ground and the hole at the bottom of the
pot? And in what way do plants in holed pots grow better than those in
unholed ones?

CM responds:

There are 2 cases of otsits nakuf both treated the same in halacha if I am not mistaken, 1) where it is directly on the ground and 2) where it is in the air above the ground. In case 1) I imagine the leichus with the contained nutrieints would just climb a few more inches in earth through the hole, but in case 2) I agree you with you the question would apply.

RZS wrote:

AIUI the theory in those days was that the power to grow comes from the
earth. When you plant a seed it was thought to rot completely, so that
none of it was left, and then the power of growth that is in the earth
produces a new plant that follows the template of the seed it was given.
I'm not sure how they understood why plants can grow in unholed pots.
And I'm pretty sure they'd have thought hydroponics impossible.

CM reponds:

Perhaps they believed that any (clump of) earth had the power of growth not just “the” Earth, but the halachic difference lay in whether it was considered mechubor to “the” Earth or not.

Btw, you may have the unholy but not the “unholed.”

Kol Tuv

Chaim Manaster