[Avodah] Avraham would certainly have preferred not to remain in the company of Lot, but did so as a chessed to Lot

Meir Rabi meirabi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 07:09:24 PDT 2011

The discussion group appears to have accepted the premise that, Avraham
would certainly have preferred not to remain in the company of Lot, but did
so as a chessed to Lot

I do not think this is such a simple assertion.
Do we assume that being in the company of a family member who is not
inspired by our lofty aspirations will demean and dilute our spiritual
ambitions and accomplishments?
I would assume that the other members of AA's clan were like-minded,
devoted and spiritually inspired people, so one family that did not quite
match the profile may well have served as a counter and a positive
influence.

Some would think in terms of diamond polishing, which is achieved through
abrasion; similarly, as one travels through life and crosses cross,
objectionable people these interactions are the device through which we
become polished. I believe Rabbi A Miller was fond of this imagery.

--

Best,

Meir G. Rabi