[Avodah] Not our fault?

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Nov 3 08:31:56 PDT 2011

In the thread titled "Status of Non-Jew born to Jewish Father", R"n Toby Katz wrote:

> We have to be nice to people but we do not have to clean up
> Reform and Conservative messes. It is not our fault that Jews
> marry non-Jews and it is not our job to pretend that that's OK.
> It's not our job to cover up for them and make the boo boo all
> better.  If we will not be true to the Torah, for G-d's sake,
> who will?  Who will?

I must object to the line "It is not our fault that Jews marry non-Jews". We cannot deny our responsibilities. If we were better at being true to the Torah, that would most certainly trickle out to the rest of Klal Yisrael.

The exact ways in which we improve ourselves is not for this thread. Nor is this the thread for debating whether or not we should show compassion by helping to "clean up their messes" or by "making the boo boo all better".

My only point here is that we must not only reject their anti-Torah ways, but we must also accept our related responsibilities.

Akiva Miller