[Avodah] eating fish out

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 01:25:53 PDT 2011

It is common in some circle to eat fish a non-kosher restaurant/hotel/cruise
when the chef double wraps the Salmon before cooking.
Especially in cruises the kitchen staff has seen such requests many times
and is well prepared.

Halachically sveral problems occur to me

1. bishul akum
2. If the fish is not whole, the knife used to cut a portion is treif
3. identifying the fish as kosher
4. ?

Any ideas?

Below is an email I received from a friend of mine

<http://adderabbi.blogspot.com/>On The Contrary

----------
The End of "Eat Fish Out" Orthodoxy?
I do not eat fish. The taste of fish makes me gag. It was therefore never
difficult for me to paskin that one may not eat out at non-certified fish
restaurants and sushi bars. I had no problem accepting the conventional
wisdom of the Orthodox establishment that there were often cases of mixing
and mislabeling. Though I had never gone into a fish restaurant to check out
the situation first hand (I can only recall being asked about this issue
once), I trusted the wisdom I grew up on, which did not acknowledge a
category of Orthodoxy that eats fish out.In any event, it appears that the
conventional wisdom was, in fact, wise. A new <
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2011/10/23/on_the_menu_but_not_on_your_plate/?page=full>BostonGlobe
expose shows that the phenomenon of mislabeling fish, especially by
restaurants, is phenomenally high. Some of the substitute species - swai and
some types of escolar, for example - are not kosher. I would be curious to
know whether there are statistics about mislabeling fish in kosher
restaurants and/or guidelines that kosher certifications agencies have in
place to prevent mislabeling. I also wonder whether such an agency would
certify an establishment that it knows to be substituting one kosher species
with a kosher but inferior species. Is this a possible niche for the <
http://tavhayosher.wordpress.com/>Tav Ha-Yosher?
<
https://feedads.g.doubleclick.net/~a/3rKycYJTTo4sDpmfScqGQGmFDWs/Giu9rFGbiL8Z_UNLsnzAnv9sHqs/0/pa

[]