[Avodah] Tefilin on second day Yom Tov

Ari Kahn adk1010 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 13:43:49 PDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Prof. Levine <llevine at stevens.edu> wrote:

>  I know someone who spends more time here in the US than in EY, has a home
> here in the US and an apartment in EY.  However, he keeps only one day of
> Yom Tov, which I think is wrong.  I do not see him working on the second
day
> of Yom Tov, but I know that he puts on tefillin on Simchas Torah and
Achron
> shel Pesach,  because he has told me so.  I find his behavior bizarre,
given
> that he lives here more than in EY.  He is American born.
>
> Personally this fellows behavior has no psychological effect on me at all.
> Of course,  I consider his behavior wrong.

I am not paskening - but in the case where someone owns a an apartment Rav
Shlomo Zalman Auerbach does advocate putting on Tefilin. If a person lives
in the diaspora, and comes to Israel  for all 3 regalom RSZA says he should
keep the second day as if he is an Israeli - even if he occasionally does
not make it over - in which case he would hold 2 days in the Diaspora.
I know of other similar cases where RSZA told people visiting to put on
Tefilin. RSZA does use the Chacham Tzvi a "snif" -see Minchat Shlomo 1:16,
Yom Tov Sheni Kihilchato page 195 note 8.
If you do wish do know how I pasken, or want a review of the topic, you can
listen to:
http://www.yutorah.org/lectures/lecture.cfm/748708/Rabbi_Ari_Kahn/one_or_two_days_Yom_Tov_for_visitors_to_Israel

Gmar Tov
Ari Kahn