[Avodah] Shabbath In An Airport

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Oct 3 16:33:20 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 10:06:54AM +0300, Liron Kopinsky wrote:
: > RJFS [on Areivim]:
: > If you arrive in a city on Shabbath, you do not have access to the
: > city's txum; your txum is 4 amoth around your body.  By stating the
: > above, you are apparently pasqening that every airport, together with
: > the runways that surround it, is a reshuth hayyaxid, and equivalent to
: > 4 amoth for the purposes of this halakha.  That may be the law, but if
: > it is, it is not so obvious a law that it is proper to present it
: > without any explanation or exposition, as you have done.

I don't know what we hold, but what I recall from Y-mi Eiruvin is that the
4 amos can be around any point, as long as it includes where you are. IOW,
you are tied to a 4 amah radius circle, but you can choose a circle that
gives you 8 amos in a chosen direction, and zero in the opposite.

RLK, in his post adds:
: The bigger issue is what do you do with your carry-on luggage which contains
: your laptop/wallet. I think he said you can directly ask a goy to carry it
: for you and put it in a safe place, but I'm not sure.

I had this situation on a bus. My LOR told me that I could ask the driver
to take it to the lost-and-found.

[Lemaaseh, the fellow behind me getting off took the briefcase (including
laptop, cell phone, PDA, and wallet) and followed me home, leaving it
on my porch without being asked. I thanked him with a 6 pack of beer.]

GCT!

Micha Berger             Education is not the filling of a bucket,
micha at aishdas.org        but the lighting of a fire.
http://www.aishdas.org                - W.B. Yeats
Fax: (270) 514-1507