[Avodah] Baruch Mordechai (was re:sobering thoughts for Purim)

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 30 16:14:49 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 09:07:49PM +0000, Elazar M. Teitz wrote:
:> In any case, the name probably isn't Hebrew -- why assume it follows
:> Hebrew rules of niqud?

: The name might not follow the rules of nikkud, but the nikkud follows
: the rules of nikkud. Thus, a foreign name might appear whose accent
: is three syllables before the last in a word, violating a rule of
: Hebrew which has accents only the ultimate, penultimate and (rarely)
: propenultimate syllables. The vowels represented by the symbols, however,
: do not change because they are being used to express a foreign name --
: and Hebrew does not have a chataf under a non-guttural.

You lost me.

Chataf-qamatz makes a distinct sound, different than a regular sheva na
and shorter than a qamatz qatan (or gadol). Suppose it is valid Persian
grammar for such a sound that is closest to chataf-qamatz to appear
after a consonant that isn't geronit?

How else would the name be transliterated and approximated by a Hebrew
speaker other than a chataf-qamatz under the dalet?

Or are you saying that there is something about chatufos that make it
impossible for a vowel similar to one of those three to be pronounced
after a dalet?

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l