[Avodah] kol isha question

Daniel M. Israel dmi1 at cornell.edu
Tue Mar 29 11:11:42 PDT 2011

Quoting Chana Luntz <chana at kolsassoon.org.uk>:
> On the other hand, according to the Magen
> Avraham, arguably were such a man to go, the women would end up being in
> violation of mesaye lei according to their lights, if not according to his.
> However, given that lifnei lifnei iver even at the d'orisa level is mutar, I
> doubt that mesaya mesaya is assur, assuming that you hold that the ikar act
> is mutar.  So while, if the women follow the Magen Avraham, they may feel
> the need to go to great lengths to make sure that a man is not able to come
> and see the film, because of mesaye lei, and by going a man might cause such
> films to be even less available to women and girls in the future, so it
> might be wise to desist, I can't see the halachic basis on which he would be
> required to desist, if his position is, eg that recorded singing is mutar.

I'm having trouble following this, because I can't sort out your
treatment of what I think are two separate issues.  By "lifnei lifnei"
I assume you are referring to the indirectness of the assistance.  I'm
not sure how that is relevant to the question here which is whether it
is lifnei iver to help someone do something I think is assur, but
which he holds is mutar.  I admit I personally am inconsistent on this
(for example, I won't offer someone a tea bag on Shabbos at my table,
even if he holds it is mutar in a kli shlishi), but I was under the
impression that there is actually no issue.

--
Daniel M. Israel
daniel at cornell.edu