[Avodah] Sobering Thoughts for Purim

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 21 07:53:08 PDT 2011

I have been wondering something for a while...

Rava famously says "chayav inish livsumei.." (Megillah 7b) and that's
quoted by rishonim and acharonim. And even attempts to pretend minhag
Yisrael saba was not to take this phrase as being about getting snockered
do so by posing new translations for "chayav" (after all, it's not a
5th mitzvas Purim), "livsumei" (to sweeten) or "ad delo yada" (until
you sleep, ad velo ad bichlal, etc...)

The part that I don't understand is that the gemara doesn't end there,
though. The gemara continues with the story of "qam Rabah shechiteih leR'
Zeira". Reading the gemara naively, I would have concluded the masqanah
is not to hold like Rava.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l