[Avodah] More Examples of "Minhagim" That Lead to Kulos

Poppers, Michael MPoppers at kayescholer.com
Thu Mar 17 16:26:54 PDT 2011

In Avodah V28n41, RDrYL wrote:
> There is a Shteibel near me that has the following "minhagim."  (Why
I put quotes around this word will be apparent from what I write below.)
<snip>
> 5.  They say Aveinu Malkenu only during Aseres Yemei Teshuva.
> All of this means that this morning they said selichos without
tachanun and without Aveinu Malkenu. <
AFAIK, AM was originally constructed to be said only during the Yamim Noraim; certainly, minhag Frankfurt only says it then (hence it wasn't said today, Ta'anis Esther 5771, in KAJ/"Breuer's").  Personally, I find disconcerting the changes to its words to satisfy being said during other days, not to mention that in KAJ each line is said by Chazzan v'Qahal with extreme deliberation and kavanah, a level I posit many Ostjuden-nusach mispal'lim don't reach because of the way in which and/or the relative frequency with which AM is said.

A gut'n Shabbes/Shabbas Shalom
and best wishes for a wonderful Purim (and Shushan Purim) from
-- Michael Poppers via BB pager