[Avodah] Kavod haMeis

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Mon Mar 14 19:12:51 PDT 2011

R' Micha Berger asked:
> Is it a bizayon hemeis issue to publish gruesome photos of murder
> victims? Can the family decide the niftarim would have prefered
> to have their images used for the cause, and we could assume they
> would not consider it a bizayon?

Just off the top of my head, I don't see a difference between that case, vs. when the family decides that it would not be a bizayon to delay the funeral in order that certain people would be able to attend. In both cases, we're dealing with an act which would be a blatant bizayon if not for the unusual circumstances, so if the family is allowed to grant permission on the niftar's behalf in the one case, I'd think the other case would be the same.

Of course, one must be very careful to make sure that this decision is being truly made with the niftar's interests and desires at heart, and this goes for both examples.

Akiva Miller