[Avodah] Koach deHeteira Adif vs. Chumeros

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Mar 14 14:57:35 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 06:33:23PM +0000, Elazar M. Teitz wrote:
:> I should add that if you think about it, the actual concept as used by
:> Chazal argues in FAVOR of chumeros. Documenting the extent of the divrei
:> hamatir is more important. Doesn't that imbalance presume that we require
:> MORE proof before accepting a qulah than before accepting a chumerah?

> Not necessarily. ...
> By the same token, kocha d'heteira adif is because it takes more to be
> mattir than to asser -- not because we require more proof, but because
> it is a greater demonstration of knowledge.

Right now, I'm not too clear on the difference between posessing more
proof for a position and backing your position by demonstrating greater
knowledge. If I did, I assume I would probably agree.

:> The fact is, there is a limited list of dinim where we say things like
:> "halakhah kedivrei hameiqil be'eiruvin". Because the exceptions
:> need specific listing.

> To what are they exceptions? Is there any general rule that "halacha
> k'divrei hamachmir," that exceptions to it need listing? ...

There is an idea, which you invoke above, which says that you don't need
to dermine halakhah to be makhmir. Theis isn't always true, as being
machmir in one area is very often being meiqil in another.

I took the statements about eiruv and aveilus to mean that in these
two dinim, there is ALWAYS a conflicting prioririty, therefore we
actively look for ways to be meiqil. That "playing safe" means being
meiqil whenever justifiable, not the usual "when in doubt, be machmir"
(barring hefsed meruba and the like).

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter