[Avodah] Koach deHeteira Adif vs. Chumeros

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Mon Mar 14 06:54:54 PDT 2011

At 03:14 PM 3/13/2011, R. Micha wrote:
>In any case, this slogan doesn't work. As I wrote in response to RYL,
>every single minhag was once a new chumerah tha masses took on that
>people of his temperament were probably objecting to. What makes today's
>innovation any less part of normative process than those done centuries
>past?

I do not think that it is true that every single minhag was once a
new chumrah that the masses took on.  For example, according to R.
Bamberger in his sefer Shorshei Minhag Ashkenaz eating in a synagogue
or throwing candy at a Chosson were not done in the times of the
Rishonim.  Indeed, according to many early poskim they are forbidden.
Yet today we do have the minhag to throw candy and eat in a shul,
which is a kula, is it not?

I am sure that there are other examples that one can think of.

YL