[Avodah] Koach deHeteira Adif vs. Chumeros

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 11 09:59:09 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:11:45AM -0500, Rich, Joel wrote:
: >> "Koach deheteira adif" is often misunderstood.

: I think that this is an issue where the original term had a specific
: technical usage but has become used as a catch phrase for a broader
: concept (like chadash assur min hatorah ?)

That only works post-facto. IOW, invoking a sloganeer's use of koach
deheteira adif (can we use KDA now?) is not proof that the new meaning --
better not to impose new chumeros -- is valid.

For that matter, many in O would object to the validity of "chadash
assur min haTorah" as the CS's usage invalidated a change in worship or
reemphasis in thought like Chassidus, the Yeshiva movements (Lithuanian
and contemporary), TIDE, Mussar, MO...

In any case, this slogan doesn't work. As I wrote in response to RYL,
every single minhag was once a new chumerah tha masses took on that
people of his temperament were probably objecting to. What makes today's
innovation any less part of normative process than those done centuries
past?

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l