[Avodah] soft matza

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 11 07:51:03 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 09:02:09AM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> I do not know about you, but 2-4 matzos for $20 is a bit steep for me.

They sell per pound an item made from the same ingredients as Ashkenazi
crackers, so you're buying the same number of kezeisim. $20/lb
is about going rate. The trick is dividing each matzah into more
pieces. Personally, I tear it into strips for koreikh, then laying
romaine lettus on it and rolling it up.

> At http://www.softmatza.com/about.asp  it says, "People from Ashkenazic
> lineage have a minhag (tradition) to eat Matza that is as thin as
> possible, and therefore should consult their Rabbi to determine if they
> are allowed to our thicker Matza. You can see from the pictures that each
> one is about 1/3 - 1/2 of an inch thick."

Which is exactly what Ashkenazim did before they invented those
hole-punching rollers. So, while some rabbanim will simply "play safe",
it's hard to call this a bonafide minhag. Maybe playing safe WRT chameitz
is itself a true minhag...

> This matza looks like pita bread to me. :-) YL

Looks like a large pita too, from the outside. Obviously no pocket.
It's dryer and tastes more like what you're used to for matzah,
though. Probably due to haste and ash on the oven floor.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l