[Avodah] Koach deHeteira Adif vs. Chumeros

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Fri Mar 11 05:55:55 PST 2011

At 06:31 AM 3/11/2011, R. Micha wrote:

>RYL asked me in a posting to Areivim about "kashrus lemehadrin" and
>implicitly about chumeros in general. How can this be a good idea if
>"koach deheteira adif"?
>
>Yet AFAIK, RYL doesn't eat qitniyos on Pesach.

I do not eat Kitniyos on Pesach.  I follow Ashkenaz
minhagim.   However, I do eat gebrokts!   I follow Ashkenaz minhagim! >:-}

>"Koach deheteira adif" is often misunderstood.
>
>The idiom is used when there is a machloqes tannaim that has two possible
>cases, one has more reason to be lequlah than the other. The makhloqes
>will be phrased as being about the more machmir case, because it's more
>important to show how meiqil the tanna who is matir actually is being.
>
>It's only used twice, Berakhos 60a and Beitza 2b. As Rashi puts it
>in Beitza ("deheteira adif leih"), "tov lo lehashmi'einu koach divrei
>hamatir".
>
>Chumeros (in the sense of going beyond what one believes is mandatory)
>are a powerful tool for avodas Hashem. Like all powerful tools, that is
>all the more reason why one has to be careful to use them wisely.

The following is from http://www.crownheights.info/index.php?itemid=28626

The Rov should always remember that many Shaalos which are brought to
him are dealing with peoples lives! Therefore, he should always keep
in mind that Koach DeHeteira Adif (the ability to rule on the side of
permitting when necessary, shows halachic strength not the contrary),
this is especially so in our generation, when chumra can sometimes
lead to kula. Notwithstanding this, the Rov must himself be
meticulous in all aspects of Halocha.

Yitzchok Levine