[Avodah] soft matza

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Mar 11 03:26:44 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 07:01:57PM -0800, Saul.Z.Newman at kp.org wrote:
: http://www.softmatza.com/ is there anything in halacha that assurs this
: type of matza  for ashkenazim?

This is a perennial. I asked RHS, he told me it was fine for me to do
so. In past iterations, we also proved that Ashk too ate softer matzos
until probably the 18th cent or later. Matzos were larger and thicker,
non-soft would have been inedible slabs (thicker than hard-tack, and
even that is hard to bite off), not crackers.

I started in 2003, to give my kids something to talk about when they
got back to school -- and thus to be more alert during the seder.

Other, minor, advantages:
- you can do a literal korekh, wrapping the matzah around the maror
- no problems with pas haba bekisnin -- it's definitely bread and not
  a cracker. Not that even Seph would question making a hamotzi on
  cracker-matzah on Pesach.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Every second is a totally new world,
micha at aishdas.org        and no moment is like any other.
http://www.aishdas.org           - Rabbi Chaim Vital
Fax: (270) 514-1507