[Avodah] tosafot

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:33:28 PST 2011

> RET, you yourself then turned this into its own thread
> <http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=T#TOSAFOT>. So, when
> you say "I never like the phrase 'Stirah' for Tosafot" I can attest it's
> been true for at least 10-1/4 years.

You have a better memory than I do.

[No, I hit Google and the Avodah archive more readily. -micha]

If one wanted to do some research then read Baale Hatosafot by Urbach
who tries to determine which collection of tosafot were used in various
masechtot.

While I agree that achronim try to answer stirot in tosafot between
different masechtot it still doesn't make sense. The original printers
printed tosafot on the side depending on what manuscripts they had
available.

I was just learning Baba Batra 8b tonight and the same general tosafot
appears in several maschettot each one being different. Some quote a
shitah in the name of Rabbenu Tam and give 2 answers while others quote
it anonymously with only one answer.

On a slightly different topic we covered a teshuva of the Maharik who
quotes a Ri which he identifies as either Ri Hazaken or Ri Bachur.
Ri Hazaken is the standard Ri in Tosafot (nephew of R. Tam) who is
Ri Bachur?

--
Eli Turkel