[Avodah] Kedusha - Remaining Silent During the Chazzan's Recitation

Dov Weinstock dov.weinstock at nycadvantage.com
Thu Mar 10 08:57:07 PST 2011

>>>Why is it that we have deviated so much from our Mesorah?  YL<<<

Probably because that is how it is printed in the siddur.
Similarly, in the shul where I grew up, the responsive recital of 'Hodu
L'Adonai' in Hallel was not done in the traditional manner.

Anyway, if you think this is the most egregious deviation in minhag, you
should read R Sperber's work on Minhagim. Last week I came across a chapter
in which he describes customs that contradict explicit halachot, e.g. a
custom in a part of Ashkenaz to drink stam yeinam, which even the Rema in a
teshuva refused to condemn (although he states strongly that no one should
adopt this custom), and even de-orytas, e.g. kohanim who would go to pray at
kivrei tzadikkim.

Dov Weinstock