[Avodah] Boreh Minei Bessamim: Stop And Smell The Flowers

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Wed Mar 9 18:58:07 PST 2011

From: Isaac Balbin _Isaac.Balbin at rmit.edu.au_
(mailto:Isaac.Balbin at rmit.edu.au)

> Do we shift all the questions of okhel vs refu'ah to scents  as well?
> If someone smells something only for refu'ah, does he make  a
> berakhah? [--RMB]

I'm not sure I understand. Isn't it a  Birchas HaNehenin (unlike Me'orey
H'oeish which is Shvach)
Are you implying  that there is only Hano-oh if it has a nice smell but if
that
smell also  makes me feel better I don't have Hano-oh?

Smelling salts revive you on a fast day but I don't think most people would
 make a borei minei besamim on smelling salts.  And what about sniffing
Vicks-infused steam or one of those menthol-scented tubes for a  stuffed nose?
 Maybe some people would make a bracha but I don't see  it.

--Toby  Katz