[Avodah] Kedusha - Remaining Silent During the Chazzan's Recitation

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 15:33:21 PST 2011

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 06:12:37PM -0500, Prof. Levine wrote:
> Interested in knowing the "proper" way to say Kedushah?  Please see
> http://www.stevens.edu/golem/llevine/Ashkenaz/kedusah.pdf
> Why is it that we have deviated so much from our Mesorah?  YL

First, I'm not sure all of minhagei Germany actually predate --
or at least actually became uniform -- before the Crusades promoted
the settlement of Eastern Europe.

In general, though, we tend to rely less and less on the Chazan saying
things for us. Much like Qedushah, muttering "Yomar na Yisrael..." et
al is also newfangled. The idea, dating back to the gemara, is to
be responsive. The Chazan says the pasuq, we reply explaiming "Hodu
Lashem...!"

Is either technically a hefseiq though, that there is something inferior
to the way we are doing things now?

Micha Berger             The true measure of a man
micha at aishdas.org        is how he treats someone
http://www.aishdas.org   who can do him absolutely no good.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Samuel Johnson