[Avodah] "she-asani kirtzono"

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Mar 9 14:10:46 PST 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 09:58:59AM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
: heard recently an interesting explanation of the bracha a woman makes
: ""she-asani kitrzono""

: When man was created it is stated in the plural "na-aseh": G-d "needed" to
: consult with the angels. When woman is created G-d no longer needs to
: "second opinion" as it is now obvious.
: The woman blesses that her creation was by G-d himself without consultation.

The problem with this answer is implied by your quote marks. The
consultation was to teach /us/ derekh eretz, not because of any
uncertainty on His part. In fact, the lack of "na'aseh" WRT Chavah
would imply that creating her was less of a big deal to the mal'akhim.

Instead, I would be more comfortable saying that "na'aseh adam" simply
refered to humanity as a whole, and the same consultation was intended
to include both.

A contrasting idea... The Zohar (haqdamah 1:1,2) says that the "na'aseh"
in "na'aseh adam" is from "na'aseh venishmah". Humanity exists on the
precondition of an eventual qibul haTorah. (Tena'im work lemafreia in
special ways when dealling with the One Who is lemaalah min hazeman.)
Cheit ha'eigel was a guy thing, so women remain *closer* to His original
"na'aseh adam" -- "kirtzono".

Since we're on the topic, another suggestion... The most essential Ratzon
of HQBH (kevayakhol) is to be a Borei. So, women are more like His Ratzon
since they create children.

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch