[Avodah] Molad Alert: Friday night

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Mar 3 16:07:39 PST 2011

At 06:55 PM 3/3/2011, you wrote:
>Message: 7
>Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 10:58:10 +0200
>From: Danny Schoemann <doniels at gmail.com>
>To: avodah <avodah at aishdas.org>
>Subject: [Avodah] Molad Alert: Friday night
>
>For those who announce it in shul:
>
>"The was WAS on Friday night at 7 Hours and 12 parts."
>
>Chodesh tov and Gut Shabbos,
>
>- Danny

A fellow gave me a card with the times of the Molad on it according
to different opinions.  IIRC, the real Molad is a good deal different
from the one we announce.  There is also the Molad according to the
RAMBAM and at least one other person.

Most people do not know that when the Molad is announced it is
Jerusalem Solar time. And, of course, the traditionalists announce it
in Yiddish which some do not understand.

I have come to the conclusion that the announcement of the time of
the Molad really does not mean much to most people.

YL