[Avodah] Oranges from Israel

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Thu Mar 3 08:39:06 PST 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 03:41:10PM +0200, D&E-H Bannett wrote:
> Someone on list might remember my posting some years ago on this subject.
> So, (as of forty years ago) the chances were  that the fruit was m'ussar.
> So, if you m'asser, do not make a b'rakha.

I mentioned this more recently than your post, when someone objected to
my mentioning demai. (I forget the context.)

Point is, if most amei haaretz, or most fruit from Jews, didn't take
maaser, there would have been no gezeira of demai. The fruit would have
been assur mishum rov. Damai is a taqanah requiring someone to avoid
this one particular mi'ut (as long as it's shekhiach).

I would therefore think that today, such places' fruit, even though
*usually* maaser-ed, would also be demai and assur derabbanan.

Micha Berger             Man is capable of changing the world for the
micha at aishdas.org        better if possible, and of changing himself for
http://www.aishdas.org   the better if necessary.
Fax: (270) 514-1507            - Victor Frankl, Man's search for Meaning