[Avodah] Orlah

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:38:22 PST 2011

I found my copy of "halichot sadeh" from 17 years ago! Throughout the years
they list
the percentages of fruit and land that is orlah for each fruit.
In that issue there was a very short description of the rules

According to R. Elyashiv (it seemed to indicate not everyone agrees) If the
trees are widespread
in EY there MIGHT be a problem of Orlah even for low percentages because of
Kavuah.
Today (ie 17 years ago) there are places in EY where there is no Orlah
because that area
has many religious settlements and because of hasgachot and also because
there are no new
plantings. Thus, they conclude that only if the amount of land that has
Orlah is more than
20% of the total is there any suspicion of Orlah. In that year the estimate
was that no commodity
had more than 15% of the land Orlah.
There are other opinions that disagree and allow the food if less than 50%
of the produce is Orlah.

some examples (4 years ago - last volume I have)

pears 0.5% Orlah
Apricots 4.5%
Nectarines 4.2%
Peaches 1.8%
Olives for food 0.02%
olives for oil 3.4%
Grapes 1.2%
Apples under 1%
figs 1%
plums 1.6%

some varieties that mighty have a problem according to R. Elyashi
apricot - early spring
nectarine - gali, 5-15
grapes - crimson

--