[Avodah] Torah UMadda

David Riceman driceman at optimum.net
Wed Mar 2 11:01:44 PST 2011

RHM:
> I did not see his book as a full treatment of TuM. I saw it rather as
> a series of models where one could see various elements of this
> philosphy in them - some more and some less. I'm not even sure he had
> this philosophy fully developed in his own mind...
>            [H]e tried to develop this philosophy into a coherent and
> organized system of Jewish thought. IIRC he left it to the reader to
> expand on it.

Consider an analogy with psak. If you ask a shailah, and the rav you
ask lists ten answers given by rishonim and aharonim, but gives you
no sense of how they came to their conclusions, how useful is that
response? Surely you shouldn't just pick the answer you like best;
that's not how psak works. Why should this case be any different?

To use your terminology, the "models" are so incomplete that they're
useless.

David Riceman