[Avodah] kal ve-chomer

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 22 10:04:45 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 07:44:13PM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
: I am struggling with trying to understand a kal ve-chamor. It obviously
: doesnt correspond to rules from standard logic.

I am actually happier with the possibility that QvC isn't standard logic.
It is listed among middos shehatorah nidreshes bahen, and rules of
logic that were well known in Chazal's day -- such as Aristotle's study
of syllogisms -- are not. The question of why QvC is derashah and not
sevara has bothered me.

And if so, then asking what justifies QvC is like asking what justifies
kelal uperat -- the Author told us the system works that way. It's not
a priori logic, it's a posited rule of the system.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l