[Avodah] Non-Jews Begin to Embrace Ketubah Wedding

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Feb 18 02:40:24 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 11:04:03PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
>> So I went to IM EH 3:18 to check, and I can reassure you that they
>> reproduced the first paragraph of that teshuvah accurately. At least,
>> any differences were more subtle than my ability to notice.

> I didn't deny that they reproduced the text accurately.  But the
> commenter, and the blog owner, seriously misrepresented what it says.
> The proverb says harotze leshaker yarchik eduso, but apparently this
> doesn't always apply.  One can present the Hebrew text that will
> rebut ones claims, and rely on people not to check.

I don't know what you mean. The article says that RMF "clearly and
unambiguously writes that it is assur for the bride to give the groom
a ring under the Chuppah."

The teshuvah opens
    Bedevar eilu she'achar shehachasan qideish betabaas es hakalah
    nasnah gam hakalah lehachasan tabaas
    ve'amrah "Hareini mequdeshes lakh" o "atah mequdah li"...

So it starts out talking about giving the groom a ring with some
delcaration. But in the section I refered to, RMF continues
    Nami nir'eh
    de'asur la'asos kein beshe'as hachupah belo amirah

Is that not clearelu prohibiting the bride giving the groom a ring under
the chuppah?

So stop with the vague accusations, and actually speak to what you're
accusing him of.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             Man is a drop of intellect drowning in a sea
micha at aishdas.org        of instincts.
http://www.aishdas.org                         - Rav Yisrael Salanter
Fax: (270) 514-1507