[Avodah] geirut for marriage

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Feb 16 17:18:46 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 02:17:30PM +0200, Eli Turkel wrote:
: Is there anything about the motives of the ger? I know of several cases in
: which a person (usually the woman) befcomes a ger for marriage but
: once converting keeps the mitzvot frequently more than the husband.

A geir needs QOM -- according to nearly all shitos, even bedi'eved. To
the extent that he has an ulterior motive, BD has reason to doubt the
reality of his accepting observance. And thus, lekhatchilah, he shouldn't
be accepted, just as batei din didn't accept geirim during the hayday of
malkhus David uShelomo. And bedi'eved we hold him in doubt pending further
observation -- at least that's how I understand Issurei Bi'ah 13:17.

Micha Berger             "'When Adar enters, we increase our joy'
micha at aishdas.org         'Joy is nothing but Torah.'
http://www.aishdas.org    'And whoever does more, he is praiseworthy.'"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rav Dovid Lifshitz zt"l