[Avodah] Geirut for marriage

Chana Luntz chana at kolsassoon.org.uk
Fri Feb 11 06:07:44 PST 2011

> RMB writes:
>

> RDE put on his blog a letter by R' Amar with agreement by ROY, which talks
> about the requirement of qabbalas ol mitzvos le'iquva. Including
> attributing
> this position to the Rambam.
>
> See the image at
> <
> http://daattorah.blogspot.com/2011/02/army-geirus-psak-of-rav-amar-with_10.html

Sorry?  I am struggling to read the hand written bit, but the bit in type
doesn't attribute the position of qabbalas ol mitzvos le'iquva to the
Rambam. It attributes (in paragraph heh) to the Rambam (and the Shulchan
Aruch and the gemora) that if the ger did mila and tevila and kabbala and
then later was over on the mitzvos, he is treated as a Israel mumer.

Ie what it is saying is that according to *all opinions* if all this
happened and then the ger was over on mitzvos, he is treated as a Israel
mumar.  Nobody disagrees with this (actually, that is not true, there are
people around claiming for retrospective invalidations, but leave that
aside).  It is in paragraph aleph that it discusses that if there is no
acceptance before three kosher to judge he is not a ger, and there is no
citation of the Rambam there (not that they need to, it is the position, as
I have pointed out previously, of Tosphos and the main opinion of the
Shulchan Aruch).

It also says that it is a responsibility of Beis Din to check and see if the
person is sincere about what they say, and if they believe he is lying not
to accept the candidate.  It does not attribute this position particularly
to the Rambam either.  Nor, note, does it say what happens if they don't
listen to this psak and accept the candidate anyway, or, even more
critically, if they actually do get fooled, despite their best efforts.

> Tir'u baTov!
> -Micha
>
> CC-ing RnCL, because I haven't seen her around lately.
>
> Shabbat Shalom

Chana