[Avodah] Is it Loshon Hora?

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:42:57 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Rich, Joel <JRich at sibson.com> wrote:

>  and even if result driven it's likely yes if the person has an online
> identity, it ruins his online reputation.
> ---------
> Is an online reputation of an anonymous person the same thing as the
> reputation of a regular person?
> ===================================
> I would assume so - if I have an online relationship with a person who goes
> by the name mycraft on line and someone online says  "Mycraft is a
> xxxxxxx" , is the fact that I have never seen Mycraft make a difference. If
> yes, why is it any different than someone sending an email  lashon hara to
> me about Rabbi X who I have never met.

1) Do we have to say that LH has anything necessarily to do with whether the
person's reputation was ruined? If person A speaks LH to person B, but
person B doesn't believe the LH, it still is LH even if the person's
reputation was not harmed in any way.
2) I don't believe there is anything as 100% anonymous online, so this is
all theoretical anyway.

Kol Tuv,
Liron