[Avodah] Must A Women Subject Herself To A Caesarean Delivery?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 8 15:02:35 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:47:34PM -0500, Zev Sero wrote:
> I assume it's not asked because the actual topic is the woman choosing
> not to get pregnant in the first place, so it's not relevant...

Whether her decision to not have a C Section would risk the hypothetical
child whose creation is under discussion isn't relevent? It's part of
the pro vs con that goes into the decision.

In any case, RSZA holds that abortion is theft, not murder. See Nishmas
Avraham CM 425 A:1. Source Tosafos, BB 142a d"h "Ben". So, regardless
he wouldn't discuss whether we are setting up a situation where we would
be asking her to avoid piquach nefesh.

Micha Berger             For a mitzvah is a lamp,
micha at aishdas.org        And the Torah, its light.
http://www.aishdas.org                   - based on Mishlei 6:2
Fax: (270) 514-1507