[Avodah] Halachic Triage

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Feb 8 14:11:54 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 09:15:25AM -0500, Rich, Joel wrote:
: In Minchat Shlomo Tanina (2-3) siman 86 R'SZA in discussing medical
: triage says (my translation) - see mishneh and gemara in horiyot....but I
: think in our time it is very hard to conduct ourselves according to this.

>From tomorrow's daf Y-mi, Bikkurim 3:3 11a. The mishnah says that the people
sent from the BHMQ to greet those coming with the bikurim would be "lefi
kavod hanikhnasim hayu yotze'im." Upon which the gemara asks "Vekhi yeish
qatan vegadol (biY-m) [beYisrael]?" And the gemara answers that it's by
number, not stature.

It would seem that while a person must show kavod to those whose greatness
he sees, but we do not institutiolize this as a ranking by third parties.

Now, can someone resolve this democratic sentiment with the priority scheme
in Horiyos?

Micha Berger             I thank God for my handicaps, for, through them,
micha at aishdas.org        I have found myself, my work, and my God.
http://www.aishdas.org                - Helen Keller
Fax: (270) 514-1507