[Avodah] IDF Conversions

Hankman salman at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 2 15:08:32 PST 2011

RAM wrote:
R' Chaim Manaster wrote:

> some in kiruv find a special imperative to be "mekarev" such
> "zera Yisrael" to geirus. But I know of no such halachic notion
> for consideration in geirus. I would appreciate any broadening
> of my horizons in this regard that anyone can offer from sifrei
> rishonim, achronim or tshuvot.

RAM responded:
IIRC, if a Jewish man has children from a non-Jewish woman, and then they convert, he *is* considered as their father for purposes of Mitzvas P'ru Ur'vu.

CM responds:

I am afraid that is not correct. If you check the Minchas Chinuch, Mitzva 1, you will find that in your case you are not mekayeim Pru Urvu. He says: "vezeh pashut." However he has another case you might be confusing with yours. If a goy has kids and then he and they are megeiyer that these kids do count toward Pru Urvu. (According to some the geirus of the kids is not necessary). He explains that the governing principle is yachas at time of birth. He presents a third case: A goy has a kid from a Jewess and is then megeiyer, that this kid does not count toward Pru Urvu due to his lack of yachas to this child.

Kol tuv

Chaim Manaster