[Avodah] Can a Sefer Torah Be Donated or Lent to a Reform Temple?

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Tue Feb 1 06:53:09 PST 2011

I am sure that anyone who subscribes to RSRH's Austritt will answer a
resounding "No!" to this question.

Many years ago I asked Rav Shimon Schwab, ZT"L, about my speaking in
a Conservative temple.  Rav Schwab was a very wise man and knew me
somewhat. He replied, "I will not pasken for you. I hold that one is
not even allowed to set foot in such a place. Anything that you do
like this strengthens them, and one should not be doing this. I know
that Reb Moshe permits Orthodox people to teach in the talmud Torahs
of Reform and Conservative temples. I do not."

Given this, I have no doubt that if he were here for us to ask him
the would say that one should not lend or donate anything to a Reform
temple.  YL