[Avodah] Taking A Hat Into A Bathroom

kennethgmiller at juno.com kennethgmiller at juno.com
Thu Jan 27 18:29:06 PST 2011

R' Micha Berger wrote:

> SA OC 282:2, and the MB 8:4, citing the Bach, specifies that
> this is in addition to yarmulka.

Regarding the SA: Surely "282:2" has a typo in it, but I can't figure out what you intended. Please correct. Thanks.

Regarding the MB: Are you translating "tallis" as "jacket"? I know that these are some contexts where "tallis" is any generic garment, but later on that same MB mentions tefillin, tzitzis, and atifah. I can't imagine that this "tallis" is anything other than a ritual tallis gadol m'tzuyetzet.

All that having been said, I'd like to mention one of my pet peeves. My understanding is that the value of wearing a jacket for davening is that it is a more honorable mode of dress than otherwise. To my dismay, there seem to be many people who think that the reason to wear a jacket is that one's shirt should be covered, and that it doesn't matter what one covers it with. So often, I see people in shul wearing a crumpled old parka or windbreaker, and in my opinion they'd look much more dressed-up without it. If anyone can cite sources on this issue, I'd like to see them.

Akiva Miller