[Avodah] Brain Death

Hankman salman at videotron.ca
Fri Jan 21 07:56:13 PST 2011

RMB wrote:
RMT's argument for brain stem death is based on the brain stem being the
source of the signals that cause heartbeat.

CM notes:
I am not sure that is correct. I strongly suspect that RMT is aware that the heart has an internal pace maker and that it (so far as I understand) does not require ANY signal form the brain stem to continue beating. Not withstanding, the brain/brain stem does have a role in modifying the heart rate for numerous conditions - but not for the most basic function, to keep it beating. I thought RMT's reasoning was based on virtual decapitation. Your logic implies that even real decapitation is only a cause of death because it leads to cessation of heart activity, and not as an independent cause of death in its own right. Does RMT give your logic explicitly somewhere?

Kol Tuv

Chaim Manaster