[Avodah] yayin mevushal

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 05:31:16 PST 2011

>From the article of R. Jachter

<<Dayan Weisz and Rav Ovadia Yosef (Rav Shlomo Zalman also concedes this
point) do not share Rav Eliashiv?s aforementioned concern that pasteurized
wine has become common practice. They believe that even though ?cooking?
wine today is commonplace, it is irrelevant. When Chazal established these
Halachot, they reason, cooking wine was uncommon, and we are not authorized
to enact new rules (see Rosh, Shabbat 2:15 and Teshuvot Yechave Daat 2:49)
or alter Chazal?s edicts.>>.

We had a similar discussion concening the bugs in Salmon. It seems that some
poskim are willing
to assume that changing circumstances changes the halacha but only lechumra.
So if chazal prohibted something but the reason no longer applies it is
still assur.
However, if they allowed something and the reason no longer applies then it
is also prohibited/
BTW a similar argument occurs if a mother is considered a nursing mother for
24 months
even though most women today have stopped way before that.

--
Eli Turkel