[Avodah] Refusal to pay, BM 17a

Yitzchak Schaffer yitzchak.schaffer at gmx.com
Wed Jan 12 05:15:01 PST 2011

I don't think we're talking about the same case. I'm at the top of 17a seven lines down, with Rashi's peshat at DH veha-edim me'idim, which I understand as: [they testify that] in front of us, he [malveh] made a claim that he [loveh] should pay acc. to the words of BD, and he did not pay [i.e. refused]. Because he brazenly defied BD in front of them, he is no longer trusted to say that he [subsequently] paid without edim.

So: no lies, no changing of stories - just recalcitrance against BD, which knocks out his ne'emanus.

--
Yitzchak Schaffer